Obtaining A Green Card Through Family

The green card (Alien Registration Card) is given to persons who become lawful permanent residents or green card holders and have the right to live and work permanently in the United States (U.S.). Usually after five years a green card holder can apply for U.S. citizenship.

There are several ways to obtain a green card or become a legal permanent resident through family, work, refugee or asylee status, making significant investments, or qualifying under one of the special immigrant categories. Most persons obtain green cards through family members who must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents.

Among the most common categories of persons eligible to be sponsored for green cards are:
1. Immediate Relatives of a U.S. Citizen– which includes spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21 or parents of a U.S. citizen petitioner who is 21 years or older.
2. Family Members of a U.S. Citizen– which includes unmarried children over 21, married children of any age and siblings of a U.S citizen who is 21 years and older.
3. Family Members of a Green Card Holder– which includes spouses and unmarried children of any age.

Eligible immediate relatives, under category 1, are given special immigration priority and have no waiting period while, family members under categories 2 and 3 usually have a waiting period before a visa becomes available.

At The Law Offices of Pearnel P. Charles II we offer U.S. Immigration Law services to clients across the world, regardless of where they reside. We facilitate meetings with our clients at both our Jamaica and Florida offices and through video conference when necessary.

Contact us now to discuss your important legal matter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *