201508.21 0

5 Tips For Divorce In Jamaica

  1. Generally, you must have been married for at least two years and separated from your wife or husband for at least 12 months before you can petition for divorce. You may be separated while living under the same roof and under special circumstances you can apply to file before the two-year period.
  1. You only need to prove that the marriage has broken down irretrievably and that there is no likelihood that cohabitation will be resumed.
  1. It is advised that the parties explore counselling and reconciliation before filing the petition for divorce. You must also, where applicable, contemplate adequate arrangements for all children under 18 or 21 years old and attending a tertiary institution. (consider the expenses including: living accommodations, school arrangements, medical needs and maintenance).
  1. One party must be a Jamaican national, domiciled in Jamaica or ordinarily resident in Jamaica for at least 12 months immediately preceding the presentation of the petition.
  1. The original marriage certificate will need to be presented to the Court when the application is being made for the Decree Nisi.

At The Law Offices of Pearnel P. Charles II we have guided several local and overseas clients seeking divorces, property division, drafting of pre nuptial agreements and a range of other family/divorce related services.

We are prepared to take the time to listen and understand your unique needs and expectations.

Contact us now to discuss your important legal matter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *